What is Chiropractic Care?
Since 1895, when the first chiropractic adjustment was given by D. D. Palmer in Davenport, Iowa, the foundation of chiropractic care has been based on the following principles:
1. The body is a self-regulating and self-healing organism. You do not need to remind your heart when to beat, your lungs when to breathe, or your kidneys when to produce urine. The body does this on its own--it self-regulates. Only the body heals a cut (not the bandaid) or repairs a broken bone (not the cast). This is self-healing. All the tools the body needs to achieve and maintain good health are already present in your body.
2. There is an Innate Intelligence at work in the body. The same intelligence that can take two cells and grow them into a complex human being made of billions of cells can also increase our heart rate and breathing in response to a stressful situation; can produce just the right amount of stomach acid to digest our food; and can enable the body to heal naturally.
3. The body works as a whole. We cannot talk about one system independently of the rest of the body. Take the cardiovascular system, for example. One cannot talk about the heart independent of how its’ function influences respiration, blood pressure, kidney function. Looking at the body in parts does not show the bigger picture.
4. The nervous system controls and regulates all body processes and functions.
This is basic human physiology, not just a chiropractic principle. The nervous system consists of your brain, spinal cord, and all the nerves throughout your body. Your brain acts as the body’s computer. Nerves gather information from the outside world and from inside your body. That information is transmitted through the nerves, to the spinal cord and up to the brain. The information is processed in the brain and a response is sent out from the brain, through the spinal cord, to the nerves and produces an appropriate response in the body. The brain and the spinal cord are connected by a 2-inch area called the brain stem. The brain stem, located at the base of the skull, is the crucial area that controls and regulates all automatic functions--heartbeat, breathing, digestion, immune response, muscle tone, healing, etc. It is also the gateway between the brain and the body--the area through which all nerve information passes.
5. Any interference to a nerve will change the nerve information passing through it and ultimately change the function of the tissue, gland, muscle, or organ to which that nerve information was going.
Put a kink in a hose and the water flow out the end is diminished. So too with nerve information if there is interference to or impingement on a nerve. The brain is surrounded and protected by the skull and the spinal cord is surrounded and protected by 24 individual vertebrae. Each vertebra, except C1, forms a joint. Each vertebra, except C1, is held in place and attached to the vertebra above and below by muscles and ligaments. In all cases, except C1, each vertebra articulates with the bone above and below it, meaning it cannot move freely or without affecting other vertebrae. C1 is unique. It is held in place by muscles and ligaments but does not articulate with the skull above it or with C2 below it. It is the only freely movable vertebra in the spine. It is this bone that surrounds the brain stem. When a vertebra misaligns, it moves out of its anatomically correct position. If it moves far enough and impinges upon a nerve, chiropractors call this a
When C1 misaligns, it affects nerve flow through the brain stem. Given the nature of the body, a movement of only a few millimeters can be sufficient enough to cause a vertebral subluxation. If complete nerve information does not flow properly to a tissue, gland, muscle, or organ, that part of the body will not work optimally.
6. A vetebral subluxation that produces a change in nerve flow will disrupt the body’s ability to self-regulate and self-heal.
A vertebral subluxation that produces a change in the function of a tissue, gland, muscle, or organ will ultimately produce imbalance within the body, dis-ease, cause symptoms, and, if not corrected, lead to chronic disease or illness.
7. If the vertebral subluxation can be found and corrected, proper nerve flow can be restored.
Once proper nerve flow is restored, the body begins the process of self-regulating and self-healing any tissues, glands, muscles, or organs that had been improperly functioning. Over time, symptoms begin to diminish, proper function returns, and overall health improves.
Chiropractors are the only health care providers educated in the detection and correction of vertebral subluxation. They spend many years learning human anatomy, physiology, immunology, neurology, radiology, and the art of locating and correcting vertebral subluxation.
Traditionally thought of as “back doctors”, Chiropractors are more correctly nervous system doctors. They evaluate nervous system function. Nervous system function can be distorted and compromised when the bones of the spine shift out of place. To restore proper nerve flow, a Chiropractor returns the spinal bones to their correct position to take interference off the nerves and allow the body to work optimally.
This is why so many symptoms and conditions respond positively to NUCCA Chiropractic care. Given that the nervous system controls and regulates all body processes and that the vertebrae can subluxate and interfere with nerve impulses going to every tissue, gland, muscle, and organ, ANY and ALL body systems can be affected by vertebral subluxation . The symptoms of subluxation show up differently for each person. When vertebral subluxation is removed and proper nerve flow is restored, the body begins to heal the damaged tissue, gland, muscle, or organ and symptoms decrease. Over time, optimal body function returns, and overall health improves. NUCCA Chiropractors do not treat symptoms, illness, or disease, nor do they heal or cure you. Chiropractors remove vertebral subluxation so that the body can self-regulate and self-heal the way it was designed to do.
NUCCA Chiropractic care is not an alternative to nor is it complementary to traditional Medicine. It is a distinct health care science, philosophy and approach for helping the body be and stay healthy. It looks at the body as a whole organism, evaluates the body's function at any given point in time, reviews lifestyle choices, and offers the best solution for supporting the body in its healing process and for restoring optimal function so that each person can live life to their fullest potential.
To learn more or find out how NUCCA chiropractic care can help you, please contact us at 434-817-7788.
"I've suffered from multiple injuries to my head, neck, back, and knees. I also have multiple disorders from one end to the other. A friend urged me to see Dr. Mike. I know Dr. Mike from church and had already talked with him a few times about my problems. Dr. Mike said helping me would be a challenge. What he didn't know is that I was challenging him. After my 4th visit, I decided Dr. Mike could keep me balanced but he just wouldn't be able to stop my back pain. Then something amazing happened. After my 6th visit, right there in his office, I was totally pain free. I even tried to start a muscle spasm and couldn't. I have been pain free for 27 days now. I have a new story to tell now. My knees don't ache, my back isn't tightening with piercing pain. I feel great. I am alive again. I'm alert. I have energy and even my soul feels renewed. I can enjoy life now, not sleep through it. I can take a shower, close my eyes and not feel like I'm going to fall. I can get up on my own in the morning without my 11-year old daughter having to beg me to get up. I crave water now, not soda. I am happy. I love my life! Thank you Dr. Mike."
B.G., Charlottesville, Virginia